A massive landslide at the Dar Es Salam landfill in Conakry, Guinea killed 30 people early Sunday after heavy rains caused a towering mound of waste to collapse onto nearby homes. The slide struck around 2 a.m., burying shacks, tents, and even an apartment building, according to witnesses. Rescue crews used excavators to search for survivors, and officials said six people were seriously injured while up to 16 others suffered lighter injuries. Several families had already received eviction notices because the dump was scheduled to close that same day, but many remained in the area when the disaster hit. Local residents described devastating losses, including one mother who said all five of her children were buried in the collapse. Prime Minister Amadou Oury Bah visited the scene, and the government said medical care and assistance were being provided to affected families. Officials confirmed that the landfill had long been considered dangerous, especially during the rainy season, and the government had recently ordered evictions due to fears of a collapse. The site was set to be shut down and relocated outside the capital. Guinea’s territorial administration minister said remaining families will be moved elsewhere. Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo called the tragedy deeply alarming, noting that the closure had been announced for the same day the collapse occurred. The disaster highlights broader issues in Guinea, where poor infrastructure and widespread poverty remain major challenges despite the country’s large bauxite and iron ore reserves. Rescue operations continued through Sunday as authorities worked to recover bodies and stabilize the area.

Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *